Local and federal law enforcement officials have exchanged gunfire with the two Boston Marathon bombing suspects. One suspect and one MIT police officer are dead. One suspect is still at large. (More)
- The suspects robbed a 7-11 and attempted to steal a car on the MIT campus in Cambridge. They shot and killed an MIT police officer in his car.
- The suspects then hijacked a car and were chased to Watertown, a Boston suburb. During the chase they threw bombs from the car, including one like those used in Monday’s bombing.
- There was a long firefight with police in Watertown. One of the suspects – Suspect 1 (‘black hat’) – was shot and killed, and may have been wearing a suicide vest. A Beth-Israel Hospital spokesperson said the suspect’s injuries included blast damage on his torso.
- During that firefight, an MBTA officer was shot and wounded.
- The other suspect – Suspect 2 (‘white hat’) – is still at large, and is considered armed and dangerous.
- Contrary to reports on Reddit and Twitter, and apparently some chatter on the Boston area police scanner, Suspect 2 (‘white hat’) is not a missing student from Brown University.
- Law enforcement officials believe both men are foreign nationals who have been in the U.S. legally for at least a year, and that both have military training.
- Massachusetts State Police have asked Watertown residents to remain in their homes, keep their doors and windows locked, and not open their doors for anyone except uniformed police officers, who are conducting house-to-house searches now.
- The police have shut down the MBTA in the Watertown area, and have asked businesses not to open until the situation is resolved.
There is a lot of mistaken information floating around the internet, in part because too many people have been listening to police scanners and treating everything they hear as fact.
Police scanners carry spontaneous conversations between law enforcement officers. The officers may be mistaken, and often are. Do not treat what you hear on a police scanner as “confirmed.”
Please feel free to add your comments and link to sources.